MANAGE COAT COLOR IN YOUR HERD
Testing can help determine coat color.
- Most dairy producers working with Holstein cattle know that the breed comes in two color patterns—black and white or red and white.
- While it is simple to visually determine the phenotype of the cow, the genetics behind Holstein coat color are complex with many possible genotypes determining the animal’s appearance.
- There are two different locations within the Holstein genome that influence coat color. One location affects Recessive Red coat color and the black/red color form, while the other location affects a Dominant Red color.
- Recessive Red, the most common form of red coat color in Holstein cattle is located in a different part of the genome than Dominant Red—they are different conditions that both affect the coat color trait. Genetic tests are available for both locations.
Test for coat color when you order CLARIFIDE®
- Results include genotype information for Recessive Red and Dominant Red information, and utilize haplotype information for black/red.
- Producers who desire to increase the number of red animals in their herd can use results to identify those animals that may be carriers.
- Once identified, those animals can be part of mating programs to proliferate the appropriate genes for red coat color.
ADVANCED GENOMIC SOLUTIONS: LEARN MORE.
Unlock the value of your herd’s genetic potential.Email this page to yourself or a friend
Click here to view more materials available in the Zoetis Genetics resource center.
Producer StoriesView Additional Stories
In The News
- April 5, 2018 - Dairy Herd Management Calf Wellness Traits Now Part of Holstein Genomic Offering
- February 3, 2018 - Dairy Business Dairymen and AI Staff Look to Future of Dairy Breeding
- January 29, 2018 - Progressive Dairyman Genomic testing for genetic gain in a small commercial herd
- January 1, 2018 - Progressive Dairyman How selection for better health impacts dairy profitability
- February 25, 2017 - Hoard's Dairyman They make the most of genomic testing
- December 20, 2016 - The Bullvine Zoetis and Holstein Association USA Release Top-Ranking Bull Lists with Genomic Predictions for Wellness Traits
- November 30, 2016 - The Bullvine Genomic Testing in Action: How Dairies Use Data to Improve Herd Productivity and Profitability (Video)
FIRST TIME CUSTOMER?
New to Zoetis Genetics? Please give us a call at 877-233-3362 so we can walk you through available options.
DOWNLOAD ORDER FORM
Download the Microsoft Excel® Dairy Order Form to place your order through Zoetis.
Enrolled in Enlight™?
If you are a Holstein producer, you may place your order online at www.enlightdairy.com.
Click here for more information on the CDCB fee structure for genomic testing of U.S. females.
Holstein producers using Enlight™ can order test collectors within Enlight at www.enlightdairy.com.
Watch sample collection videos
Collecting a high-quality sample is the first step to receiving accurate genomic results. Find out more here.
Find answers to common questions about the Zoetis Genetics ordering process here. If you’re still having trouble, please contact us at 877-233-3362 and we’ll be glad to help.
- Belgium (French)
- Belgium (Dutch)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States