- Unlike some MLV vaccines, there is no age restriction on the use of Bovi-Shield vaccines.
- Bovi-Shield MLV strains help prime the immune system of calves, helping give them a healthy start to realize full genetic potential.
- Bovi-Shield GOLD vaccines containing a MLV strain of IBR virus are the first and only vaccines labeled to prevent respiratory disease caused by IBR and to offer at least a 280-day duration of immunity when administered by the subcutaneous route.
- Bovi-Shield GOLD vaccines containing MLV strains of BVD virus are labeled to aid in the prevention of respiratory disease caused by BVD Types 1 and 2 and are the first and only vaccines to offer at least a nine-month duration of immunity when administered by the subcutaneous route.
- Bovi-Shield GOLD HB products help prevent IBR abortions, BVD persistent infections, Lepto hardjo-bovis infections and urinary shedding for at least 365 days.
- Texas A&M ranch-to-rail data1 showed that compared to sick or treated calves, healthy, quality calves posted advantages of:
- $17 efficiency in cost of gain/head
- $23 savings in medicine cost/head
- 14% more choice carcasses
- $117 greater profitability/head
- Buyers pay more for vaccinated calves. Colorado State University research showed that weaned, vaccinated calves sold for $21 a head more than non-vaccinated, unweaned calves.2
Bovi-Shield GOLD is backed by the largest US animal health Field Force, Veterinary Operations and Veterinary Medical Investigation and Product Support teams in the industry.
- All Bovi-Shield GOLD Fetal Protection products are backed by a guarantee to prevent BVD – PI calves.
- All Bovi-Shield GOLD Fetal Protection products are backed by a guarantee to help prevent IBR abortions.
1McNeill JW. Extension Animal Science, Texas A&M University. The Impact of Calf Health on Performance, Profits and Carcass Quality, 1999.
2King ME, Odde KG. The effect of value-added health programs on the price and no-sale rate of beef calves sold through 10 Superior Livestock video auctions in 1997. CSU Beef Program Report 85-93. 1998.
General Directions: Vaccination of healthy cattle is recommended. Aseptically rehydrate the freeze-dried vaccine with the sterile diluent provided, shake well, and administer 2 mL subcutaneously or intramuscularly. In accordance with Beef Quality Assurance guidelines, this product should be administered subcutaneously in the neck region.
Primary Vaccination: Administer a single 2-mL dose to all breeding cows and heifers approximately 1 month prior to breeding or being added to the herd.
Revaccination: Annual revaccination with a single dose of Bovi-Shield GOLD FP 5 is recommended. Good animal husbandry and herd health management practices should be employed.
PRECAUTIONS: Do not use in pregnant cows (abortions can result) unless they were vaccinated, according to label directions, with any Bovi-Shield GOLD FP or PregGuard GOLD FP vaccine within the past 12 months. Do not use in calves nursing pregnant cows unless their dams were vaccinated within the past 12 months as described above.
- Consistent with good vaccination practices, it is recommended that heifers receive at least 2 doses with the second dose administered approximately 30 days prebreeding.
- Store at 2°–7°C. Prolonged exposure to higher temperatures and/or direct sunlight may adversely affect potency. Do not freeze.
- Use entire contents when first opened.
- Sterilized syringes and needles should be used to administer this vaccine. Do not sterilize with chemicals because traces of disinfectant may inactivate the vaccine.
- Burn containers and all unused contents.
- Do not vaccinate within 21 days before slaughter.
- Contains gentamicin as preservative.
- As with many vaccines, anaphylaxis may occur after use. Initialy antidote of epinephrine is recommended and should be followed with appropriate supportive therapy.
- This product has been shown to be efficacious in healthy animals. A protective immune response may not be elicited if animals are incubating an infectious disease, are malnourished or parasitized, are stressed due to shipment or environmental conditions, are otherwise immunocompromised, or the vaccine is not administered in accordance with label directions.
- Belgium (French)
- Belgium (Dutch)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States