- Allergic dermatitis requires lifelong management—even when controlled, occasional flares can occur1
• Pruritic flares are to be expected, especially for seasonally affected dogs
- Prepare your clients for the possibility of flares by establishing an individualized plan
- Reassure your clients that their dog's current anti-pruritic treatment is still working, but a diagnostic workup is needed to determine the cause of the flare
- Apoquel® and Cytopoint® can be used to relieve itch while completing a diagnostic workup, while Convenia® treats bacterial skin infection. Simparica Trio® is a monthly chewable that starts killing fleas fast, within 4 hours, to help keep dogs protected
Guidance for Successful Flare Management
- Prepare for the possibility of a flare by maintaining open, two-way communication with the pet owner
- If you suspect a flare, schedule an exam for the dog to be seen
- Do not stop using the dog's current anti-pruritic treatment during the flare
- Complete the diagnostic workup so the underlying cause of the flare (eg, fleas, infection, dietary indiscretion) can be identified
- Treat the flare with the appropriate therapy
- If the flare is due to seasonal spikes in environmental allergens, add a second anti-pruritic treatment for the time needed to get the patient's pruritus under control again. APOQUEL and CYTOPOINT can be used together effectively and safely to treat seasonal flares
For animals. For health. For you.
This site is intended for U.S. Animal Healthcare Professionals. The product information provided in this site is intended only for residents of the United States. The products discussed herein may not have marketing authorization or may have different product labeling in different countries. The animal health information contained herein is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace discussions with an animal healthcare professional. All decisions regarding the care of a veterinary patient must be made with an animal healthcare professional, considering the unique characteristics of the patient.
All trademarks are the property of Zoetis Services LLC or a related company or a licensor unless otherwise noted. ©2021 Zoetis Services LLC. All rights reserved.