- SIMBADOL (package insert), Florham Park, NJ, Zoetis, 2014.
- Data on file. Clinical Efficacy (Soft Tissue), 08-30-MC-D-CT-BP, and Clinical Efficacy (Orthopedic), 08-31-MC-D-CT-BP. Zoetis.
- Hellyer PW, Uhrig SR, Robinson NG. Colorado State University Veterinary Medical Center feline acute pain scale. 2006.
- Brondani, JT, Luna SP, Padovani CR. Refinement and initial validation of a multidimensional composite scale for use in assessing acute postoperative pain in cats. Am J Vet Res. 2011;72(2):174-183.
- Calvo G, Holden E, Reid J, et al. Development of a behaviour-based measurement tool with defined intervention level for assessing acute pain in cats. J Small Anim Pract. 2014;55(12):622-629.
- Freedom of Information Summary, NADA 141-434, SIMBADOL, July 18, 2014.
- Grim K, Tranquilli W, Lamont L, eds. Essentials of Small Animal Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2nd ed. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell; 2011:99.
- Heel RC, Brogden RN, Speight TM, et al. Buprenorphine: a review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy. Drugs. 1979;17(2):81-110.
- Steagall PV, Pelligand L, Giordano T, et al. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modelling of intravenous, intramuscular and subcutaneous buprenorphine in conscious cats. Vet Anaesth Analg. 2013;40(1):83-95.
SIMBADOL is a novel combination of dose and concentration. It contains 1.8 mg/mL of buprenorphine hydrochloride and has been specifically formulated so that one dose of 0.24 mg/kg administered subcutaneously (SQ) will provide 24 hours of continuous postoperative analgesia to a cat. Watch the Mechanism of Action video below to see exactly how SIMBADOL works to block pain in cats following surgery.
SIMBADOL is an immediate-release product, so buprenorphine is quickly absorbed after SQ injection. It begins to take effect within one hour after administration.
Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics
How effective a pain medication is, and how long that pain control lasts, often depends on how closely the drug binds with a receptor. Buprenorphine has both high affinity and high avidity for the opioid receptors8, making it a highly effective pain medication for feline pain relief.
Most formulations of buprenorphine only provide 6 to 8 hours of analgesia. In order to achieve 24 hours of continuous feline pain control, multiple doses are required. Depending on the dosage and dosing interval, cats may experience pain between doses.
SIMBADOL is unique in that it provides continuous analgesia for a full 24 hours with only one injection. The longer duration of analgesia associated with SIMBADOL is likely related to a combination of dosage, metabolism and receptor affinity and avidity.
How SIMBADOL works to control pain
Why SIMBADOL is the Best Choice for Postsurgical Feline Pain Control
24-hour duration of activity
Every cat responds differently to buprenorphine.9 However, in two large field studies, one dose of SIMBADOL was found to be effective in controlling postoperative pain associated with surgical procedures in cats for 24 hours.6
Formulated specifically for cats
SIMBADOL is one of very few analgesics that have been formally tested and FDA approved to provide postsurgical pain relief for cats.
SIMBADOL is a partial mu agonist with a high affinity and avidity, which allows for a prolonged duration of analgesia.
Provides efficacy while ensuring safety
In studies, the majority of adverse effects cited with SIMBADOL were mild in severity and either an expected opioid response (mydriasis, hyperactivity, hyperthermia) or similar to the placebo (hypothermia, anorexia, hypotension).2
Ensures absorption and delivery
SIMBADOL is administered by veterinary staff, so 100% compliance is guaranteed. With SIMBADOL, you know your feline patients will return home with pain treatment “on board.”
Try SIMBADOL Today
Download our entire list of FAQs to find the info you're looking for.DOWNLOAD SIMBADOL FAQS
INDICATION: SIMBADOL is indicated for the control of postoperative pain associated with surgical procedures in cats.
See References for detailed information about research studies referenced on this website.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION: Due to serious human safety and abuse concerns, including physical or psychological dependence, life-threatening respiratory depression and additive CNS depressant effects, read the full prescribing information before using this drug, including the complete Boxed Warning. Not for use in humans. Hospital staff should be trained in the handling of potent opioids and should avoid accidental exposure. SIMBADOL has not been evaluated in breeding, pregnant, or lactating cats, in cats younger than 4 months of age or moribund cats. Do not use in cats with known hypersensitivity to buprenorphine hydrochloride or any of the components of SIMBADOL, or known intolerance to opioids. Use with caution in cats with impaired hepatic function. Adverse reactions may include hyperthermia, tachycardia, hypotension, hypertension, hypothermia, anorexia, and hyperactivity. For more safety information, refer to the full Prescribing Information.
All trademarks are the property of Zoetis Services LLC or a related company or a licensor unless otherwise noted.
Zoetis Services LLC. All rights reserved. SIM-00052
- Belgium (French)
- Belgium (Dutch)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States