Efficacy of ProHeart® 6 (moxidectin)
Compliance is Key
ProHeart® 6 (moxidectin) had 100 percent efficacy in two clinical effectiveness trials supporting FDA approval.2
Preapproval Challenge Study3
A single dose of ProHeart 6 dosed at 0.17 mg/kg ensured complete protection against heartworm infection.
See Study Design
- 32 purpose-bred dogs, ≥8 months old.
- Dogs were assigned to one of four treatment groups (n=8) on Day 0: ProHeart 6, 0.06 mg/kg; ProHeart 6, 0.17 mg/kg; ProHeart 6, 0.50 mg/kg; or placebo.
- Each dog was inoculated SQ with 50 L3 heartworms on Day 180 and examined for heartworm between Days 330 and 331.
Preapproval Field Study2
None of the dogs enrolled in the study tested positive for heartworms.
See Study Design
- 374 client-owned dogs of various breeds ranging from 6 months to 15 years of age.
- Dogs received ProHeart 6 (n=280) at 0.17 mg/kg on Month 0 and Month 6 or tablets of an approved heartworm preventative medication (n=94) every 30 days for 365 days.
- Antigen and microfilaria testing was performed prior to enrollment and at Months 3, 6 and 12.
Six Months of Efficacy
A unique mode of action (MOA) delivers sustained concentrations, providing six months of efficacy:
- Slow-dissolving microspheres contain moxidectin and prolong its effects.
- Moxidectin redistributes from plasma to adipose tissue.
- Adipose tissue acts as a reservoir, allowing six months’ protection against heartworm disease.
- Data on file. ProHeart 6 Freedom of Information Summary, NADA 141-189.
- Lok JB, Knight DH, Wang GT, et al. Activity of an injectable, sustained-release formulation of moxidectin administered prophylactically to mixed-breed dogs to prevent infection with Dirofilaria immitis. Am J Vet Res. 2001;62(11):1721-1726.
The product information provided in this site is intended only for residents of the United States. The products discussed herein may not have marketing authorization or may have different product labeling in different countries. The animal health information contained herein is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace discussions with an animal healthcare professional. All decisions regarding the care of a veterinary patient must be made with an animal healthcare professional, considering the unique characteristics of the patient.
All trademarks are the property of Zoetis Services LLC or a related company or a licensor unless otherwise noted.
©2016 Zoetis Services LLC. All rights reserved. PRO-00167
- Belgium (French)
- Belgium (Dutch)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States