We all want confidence that the foods we eat are safe and wholesome. Many layers of protection safeguard the meat, poultry and dairy products on our tables.
Zoetis, along with farmers and veterinarians, work together with state and federal authorities to ensure food is safe and wholesome every day.
Zoetis Supports Rigorous Government Standards
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires antibiotics to meet rigorous standards for effectiveness, safety and quality before approving their use in food animals. These sites offer an overview of approval requirements:
Meat, poultry and milk products are tested for the presence of residues to ensure the safety of the food supply. The following links provide an overview of these programs:
- U.S. Department of Agriculture National Residue Program
- National Milk Drug Residue Data Base 2013 Report
- FDA Food Safety Modernization Act
Safeguards for Wholesome Food
Many organizations provide consumers information about:
- How veterinarians are involved in animal care
- How the FDA approves medicines before they may be used on the farm
- How animals that receive antibiotics must be withheld from the food supply until the medicines have cleared their systems
- How government agencies require testing for milk and meat for the presence of residues before they enter the food supply
Some of these resources are listed below.
- IFIC Foundation Animal Agriculture Resource Page
- U.S. Farmers & Ranchers Alliance (USFRA)
- AHI Issues and Advocacy Page
Veterinarians: Protecting Animal Health and Food Safety
Veterinarians care about both healthy animals and safe food. For more information, visit Healthy Animals.
Consumers demand clear and transparent information about antibiotic use and food safety. This series of articles from Poultry Health Today helps guide discussions on these important topics:
- Belgium (French)
- Belgium (Dutch)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States